Earlier this month, consultancy company Portland Communications and media platform Tweetminster analysed over 11.5 million Africa geo-located Tweets in an attempt to comprehensively map the use of Twitter on the continent. This pan-African analysis of Twitter traffic was complemented by a survey of 500 of Africa’s most active Tweeters.
- The continent’s most active countries by volume of geo-located Tweets are: South Africa (5,030,226), Kenya (2,476,800), Nigeria (1,646,212), Egypt (1,214,062) and Morocco (745,620).
- 57% of Tweets from Africa are sent from mobile devices.
- 60% of Africa’s most active Tweeters are aged between 20 and 29.
- Over four fifths of those polled say that they used Twitter mainly for communicating with friends.
- 68% of those polled said that they use Twitter to monitor news while 22% use it to search for employment opportunities.
- African Twitter users are active across a range of social media, including Facebook, YouTube, Google and LinkedIn.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.
More information on How Africa Tweets can be found here.