Dozens killed in China mine disaster

Sixty-eight miners have been killed and 79 are trapped underground after an explosion at a coal mine in China's northeast Heilongjiang province, according to official press.

    China's mines are considered the most dangerous in the world

    A total of 221 miners were underground when the accident at the Dongfeng coal mine occurred at 9.40pm (13:40 GMT) on Sunday, Xinhua news agency reported. It said that the accident was caused by a coal-dust explosion, which knocked out the ventilation systems.

      

    Sixty-eight miners have been confirmed dead and 74 have been rescued, Xinhua said, citing sources from the rescue operation.

      

    Heilongjiang Longmei Group, a mining conglomerate of four large state-owned coal businesses with a registered capital of 13bn yuan ($1.6bn), owns the Dongfeng mine.

      

    The China News Service said the Dongfeng mine was fully licensed.

      

    Li Yizhong, the head of the State Administration of Work Safety, and Zhao Tiechui, the State Administration of Coal Mine Safety, were travelling to the site, according to the website.

      

    China's mines, many of them illegal, are considered the most dangerous in the world, and the problem has worsened in recent years as demand for raw materials has risen to help fuel the nation's rapid economic growth.

      

    More than 6000 miners died in accidents in China last year, according to previously released government figures. Independent estimates say the real figure could be as high as 20,000.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Why Saudi-Israeli normalisation could be dangerous

    Why Saudi-Israeli normalisation could be dangerous

    Apart from being disastrous for Palestine, normalising relations with Israel could get Saudi Arabia in real trouble.

    Gender violence in India: 'Daughters are not a burden'

    Gender violence in India: 'Daughters are not a burden'

    With female foeticide still widespread, one woman tells her story of being mutilated for giving birth to her daughters.

    What is Mohammed bin Salman's next move?

    What is Mohammed bin Salman's next move?

    There are reports Saudi Arabia is demanding money from the senior officials it recently arrested.