[QODLink]
Archive
US troops starving Iraqis, says UN
A United Nations human rights investigator has accused the US and British forces in Iraq of breaching international law by depriving
Last Modified: 14 Oct 2005 18:56 GMT
Geneva Convention protocols prohibit the use of starvation
A United Nations human rights investigator has accused the US and British forces in Iraq of breaching international law by depriving civilians of food and water in besieged cities.

But the US military denied the charge and said that while supplies were sometimes disrupted by combat, food was never deliberately withheld.
   

Jean Ziegler, a former Swiss sociology professor who is UN special rapporteur on the right to food, said on Friday that the Geneva Conventions banned military forces from using "starvation of civilians as a method of warfare".
   

But he said that in Falluja, Tal Afar and Samarra, Iraqi and US-led forces had cut off or restricted food and water to encourage residents to flee before assaults on entrenched Sunni fighters over the past year.
   

"A drama is taking place in total silence in Iraq, where the coalition's occupying forces are using hunger and deprivation of water as a weapon of war against the civilian population," Ziegler told a news briefing in Geneva.
   

Geneva Conventions

 

US soldiers are accused of 
flouting the humanitarian law

Two 1977 protocols to the 1949 Geneva Conventions, which lay down rules of conduct in armed conflicts, ban using deprivation of food or water as a weapon of war. They also prohibit destruction of food stocks or interruption of food supply lines.
   

Ziegler said he understood the military rationale of the US-led forces that were "facing such a horrible enemy - these insurgents who do not respect any law of war and who use the civilian population of cities like Falluja or Tal Afar as human shields, who keep them as hostages".
   

But he said their actions were nevertheless a "flagrant violation of international humanitarian law".
   

Ziegler said he hoped the General Assembly would "condemn this strategy of the coalition forces" when he presents his report on the right to food in New York on 27 October.
   

US denial

 

Lieutenant Colonel Steve Boylan, a spokesman for the US military in Iraq, said Ziegler's accusations were baseless.

 

"Any allegations of us withholding basic needs from the Iraqi people are false"

Lt Col Steve Boylan,
US military spokesman

"Any allegations of us withholding basic needs from the Iraqi people are false," he said.
   

"In conjunction with our combat operations, we take all precautions to ensure that the Iraqi people are taken care of, as does the Iraqi government," Boylan said.
   

"There have in the past ... been some supplies that have been delayed due to combat operations, but they were due to transit the area once it was deemed safe. It does not do relief supplies any good if you have them going into a firefight."
   

Ziegler said that he had been in touch with the British authorities on the issue, and "a channel seems to be opening", but that attempts to start a dialogue with the US authorities had been fruitless.

Source:
Reuters
Topics in this article
People
Country
Featured on Al Jazeera
'Justice for All' demonstrations swell across the US over the deaths of African Americans in police encounters.
Six former Guantanamo detainees are now free in Uruguay with some hailing the decision to grant them asylum.
Disproportionately high number of Aboriginal people in prison highlights inequality and marginalisation, critics say.
Nearly half of Canadians have suffered inappropriate advances on the job - and the political arena is no exception.
Featured
Women's rights activists are demanding change after Hanna Lalango, 16, was gang-raped on a bus and left for dead.
Buried in Sweden's northern forest, Sorsele has welcomed many unaccompanied kids who help stabilise a town exodus.
A look at the changing face of North Korea, three years after the death of 'Dear Leader'.
While some fear a Muslim backlash after café killings, solidarity instead appears to be the order of the day.
Victims spared by the deadly disease are reporting blindness and other unexpected post-Ebola health issues.