Lebanese bank chief sues Syria official

The head of Lebanon's al-Madina Bank, which collapsed two years ago in one of the country's biggest banking scandals, has sued the former Syrian intelligence chief in Lebanon for alleged embezzlement.

    Rustom Ghazaleh is accused of embezzling $72 million

    Al-Madina president Adnan Abu Ayyash accuses General Rustom Ghazaleh and three brothers of spiriting away $72 million from the bank between 2000 and 2003, Abu Ayyash's lawyer Jean Azzi said on Thursday.

    Ghazaleh headed the much-feared Syrian intelligence that left Lebanon last month as part of a troop withdrawal that ended Damascus's 29-year military and political grip on its smaller neighbour.

    The Central Bank of Lebanon appointed an administrator to run the privately owned al-Madina in July 2004 after finding a $1.2 billion hole in its accounts, the worst financial scandal in the country in three decades.

    Money-laundering

    The bank is also facing a money-laundering investigation. Unconfirmed press reports said the bank was used to launder several trillion dollars by the Russian mafia, Iraqi state funds and Saudi Islamic associations.

    Abu Ayyash has also accused a former official with the bank, Rana Qoleilat, of involvement in the alleged embezzlement.

    Qoleilat, who played a major role in running the bank, is under investigation for falsifying documents and embezzling tens of millions of dollars through bad cheques.

    She was arrested last year but released on bail in April on the eve of the Syrian pullout from Lebanon.

    Abu Ayyash's brother, Ibrahim, a co-owner of the bank, was arrested along with Qoleilat, accused of embezzlement and abuse of trust and is being detained in jail.

    SOURCE: AFP


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Why Jerusalem is not the capital of Israel

    Why Jerusalem is not the capital of Israel

    No country in the world recognises Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

    Canada: Attack on girl wearing hijab 'did not happen'

    Canada: Attack on girl wearing hijab 'did not happen'

    Toronto police announce hate crime investigation concluded after evidence shows cutting of girl's hijab didn't occur.

    New Boko Haram video purports to show Chibok girls

    Boko Haram video purports to show seized Chibok girls

    Girl appearing in footage says the abductees are safe, live g in comfort and do not want to be rescued.