Bomber, victim identified in Doha blast

The British embassy has identified the expatriate who was killed in Saturday's car bomb in Doha as Jonathan Adams, and Qatari officials revealed that the attacker was an Egyptian engineer.

    The Doha Players theatre after the car-bomb attack on Saturday

    No further details about the victim were released. "We do not have personal information," Muhammad Shawkat, a spokesman at the embassy told Aljazeera.net.

    Earlier on Sunday, the Qatari Interior Ministry said an Egyptian named Umar Ahmad Abd Allah Ali carried out the car bomb attack at the Doha Players theatre on Saturday night.

    Ali, an information and communications technology engineer for Qatar Petroleum, had not been heard of since he left his home on Saturday morning. He was married with children.

    The blast that killed Adams and the bomber also wounded 12 people of different nationalities, including Qataris, other Arabs and Asians, the Interior Ministry said. 

    The blast occurred about 9.15pm outside the theatre in the Qatari capital where a play was being performed.

    Investigation on

    On Sunday morning, police were investigating the bomb site and the theatre and surrounding areas were cordoned off, preventing an Aljazeera.net reporter from entering.

    The Qatari Interior Ministry said 
    Ali attacked the theatre

    The blast damaged a number of houses and cars nearby. Windows were shattered and glass could be seen scattered throughout the road in front of the Doha English Speaking School, a British school across from the theatre.

    The private school and a number of others catering to expatriate children cancelled classes on Sunday.

    Residents near the theatre reported hearing a powerful explosion on Saturday night.

    "I was sitting in the TV room along with my kids and my grandchildren and our maids when the blast occurred at around 9pm," Aisha Ibrahim, who lives in a villa about 50m from the blast, told Aljazeera.net.

    "The windows got shattered and glass flew all over the place. We were terrified.

    "Some of my younger kids were sleeping in their rooms when the blast happened. The shattered glass flew right inside their quarters, so we rushed and pulled them out," she said. "At first, we thought it was an electrical explosion.

    "The windows got shattered and glass flew all over the place. We were terrified...

    Every window fell, even the front door gate was damaged from the ferocity of the blast"



    Aisha Ibrahim, who lives in a villa 50m from the blast site

    "Every window fell, even the front door gate was damaged from the ferocity of the blast," Ibrahim said.

    Speaking to Aljazeera, Brigadier-General Ahmad al-Hayki of the Qatari police said the Interior Ministry was investigating the attack.

    "The blast did not target the US embassy or any other foreign embassy.

    "Security forces have controlled the situation and an investigation is under way to disclose the truth," he said.

    French team

    President Jacques Chirac dispatched a team of French criminal investigators to Doha on Sunday at the request of Qatari authorities.

    In a letter to the Amir of Qatar, Chirac condemned the "vile terrorist attack".

    "France stands beside Qatar in this difficult time," Chirac said in the letter sent to the leader of the tiny Gulf nation, Shaikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani. A copy of the letter was released by the president's office.

    "Your country showed its confidence in France by asking us to urgently send a mission of experts in criminal investigation and explosives. I inform you that this mission left this morning for Doha," Chirac said.

    SOURCE: Aljazeera + Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Venezuela in default: What next?

    Venezuela in default: What next?

    As the oil-rich country fails to pay its debt, we examine what happens next and what it means for its people.

    The Muslims of South Korea

    The Muslims of South Korea

    The number of Muslims in South Korea is estimated to be around 100,000, including foreigners.

    What is Mohammed bin Salman's next move?

    What is Mohammed bin Salman's next move?

    There are reports Saudi Arabia is demanding money from the senior officials it recently arrested.