Hamas hits Israeli military base

Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades have claimed responsibility for firing two mortar shells at an Israeli military base, according to a statement.

    Twelve Israeli soldiers were wounded in the attack

    Aljazeera's correspondent in Palestine, Wail al-Dahduh, reporting from Gaza said Hamas' Izz al-Din al-Qassam had issued a statement claiming responsibility for attacking an Israeli military base near Nahal Oz, east of Gaza Strip.

    Twelve Israeli soldiers were injured in the incident.

    An Israeli army spokesman and Israeli public radio had confirmed the incident and said ten soldiers were lightly injured and two were in a serious condition.


    The army confirmed the attack, but details of the incident were under censorship, according to media reports.

     

    A number of mortar shells were also fired earlier on Wednesday at Israeli military targets in the Gaza Strip and its northern parts, al-Dahduh reported.

    "One of the shells landed in Sderot area in northern Gaza Strip damaging a building in the Jewish settlement of Ghibin," he said.

    Joint operation
     

    "These operations came few hours after Fatah's al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades and Islamic Jihad's al-Quds Brigades had launched a joint operation at the Erez Israeli-Gaza crossing targeting an Israeli military base," he added.  

     

    Israeli sources said they killed one of the Palestinian resistance fighters.

    "However, the two organisations, al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades 

    Israeli forces killed 7 youths,
    5 teenagers and an 11-year-old

    and al-Quds Brigades have issued a joint statement, stating that communication with the fighter has been cut off and his fate is yet unknown," al-Dahduh reported. 

     

    Palestinian sources said these operations come in response to the escalation of Israeli military incursions and killings.

    Continued Israeli incursions
     

    While Israeli incursions continue unabated, Palestinian presidential candidate continued campaigning in different parts of Palestine.

    He attempted to visit a hospital in Bait Lahya, but was unable to step out of his vehicle due to heavy Israeli tank fire nearby.

    Seven Palestinian youths, including five teenagers and an 11-year-old boy, were killed on Tuesday when Israeli tanks shelled a strawberry farm while it was being harvested.

    Israel says the incursions and shelling is aimed at putting an end to rockets being fired at the military, and Sharon has given his army free rein to do so.

    While Abbas reacted to Tuesday's killings with a denunciation of the "Zionist enemy", he also reiterated his criticism of the use of violence by both sides.

    Abbas allowed into Jerusalem

    While Israel has allowed Abbas in-
    to Jerusalem, others are harassed

    In the meantime Israel says it will allow Mahmud Abbas to campaign in East Jerusalem ahead of next week's poll, the Israeli Ha'aretz daily reported on Monday.

    Palestinians want East Jerusalem as the capital of their future state, but Israel says it is an indivisible part of its "undivided and eternal" capital and has barred Palestinian political activity there.


    Other Palestinian presidential candidates have been harrassed and detained across the West Bank while some have been barred from campaigning in Jerusalem.

    SOURCE: Aljazeera + Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Double standards: 'Why aren't we all with Somalia?'

    Double standards: 'Why aren't we all with Somalia?'

    More than 300 people died in Somalia but some are asking why there was less news coverage and sympathy on social media.

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    How Moscow lost Riyadh in 1938

    Russian-Saudi relations could be very different today, if Stalin hadn't killed the Soviet ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

    Kobe Steel: A scandal made in Japan

    Kobe Steel: A scandal made in Japan

    Japan's third-largest steelmaker has admitted it faked data on parts used in cars, planes and trains.