US ends fruitless Iraq WMD search

The search for elusive weapons of mass destruction in Iraq has officially ended, The Washington Post says.

    Months of searching Iraq uncovered no sign of any WMDs

    The daily newspaper reported on Wednesday that officials who served with the group charged with hunting banned weapons said insecurity in Iraq and a lack of new information had led them to fold up the effort shortly before Christmas.

    Charles Duelfer, the CIA special adviser who had led the hunt, has returned home and analysts serving in his Iraq Survey Group (ISG) have returned to CIA headquarters in Virginia, the report said.
       
    The paper said the findings of an interim report that Duelfer submitted to the US Congress in September will stand as the ISG's final conclusions, according to a senior intelligence
    official. 
       
    Nothing to report

    The report found that Iraq had no stockpiles of biological and chemical weapons and its nuclear programme had decayed before the US-led invasion in 2003, in findings contrary to the pre-war assertions of the Bush administration.
       
    The newspaper reported that the White House had been reluctant to call off the hunt, holding out the possibility that weapons had been shipped out of Iraq before the war or were well hidden inside the country.
       
    US President George Bush, who subsequently said he was "right to take action" in Iraq, had cited a growing threat from Iraq's weapons of mass destruction as one of the main reasons for overthrowing ousted Iraqi president Saddam Hussein.

    SOURCE: Reuters


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Assad to Putin: Thank you for 'saving our country'

    Assad to Putin: Thank you for 'saving our country'

    Russian and Syrian presidents meet to discuss strategy against 'terrorism' and political settlement options.

    Is Saudi Arabia becoming a danger to the region?

    Is Saudi Arabia becoming a danger to the region?

    We talk to US Congressman Ro Khanna about power politics and debate Mohammed bin Salman's new strategy for the Kingdom.

    Gender violence in India: 'Daughters are not a burden'

    Gender violence in India: 'Daughters are not a burden'

    With female foeticide still widespread, one woman tells her story of being mutilated for giving birth to her daughters.