- Invest in new technology and alternative fuels to lessen
US dependence on foreign oil.
- Make America "finally and forever" independent of Middle East oil.
- Cut the US deficit in half over four years by ending corporate tax cuts, which he called "corporate welfare."
- Offer targeted tax breaks for the middle class.
- Roll back tax cuts granted by the Bush administration to people earning over $200,000 a year.
- Close tax loopholes to companies moving jobs abroad and give breaks to firms keeping good-paying jobs at home.
- Pledged not to privatise Social Security or to cut benefits.
- Incentives to revitalise manufacturing and investment in technology and innovation.
- Pledged that as commander-in-chief he would never lead the United States into a preemptive war, only sending troops to battle "a threat that was real and imminent."
- Immediately reform intelligence gathering.
- Rebuild alliances with other nations.
- Ensure the United States would lead the global effort against nuclear proliferation.
- Add 40,000 active duty troops.
- Double the number of US special forces.
- End the military's heavy reliance on National Guard and
September 11 commission
- Immediately implement the recommendations of the September 11 commission.
- Offer incentives that would save families $1,000 a year on health insurance costs.
- Allow Americans to buy prescription drugs from countries like Canada, where they are often less expensive.