Sudan blames West for Darfur conflict

Sudan's vice-president has blamed the West for the conflict in western Darfur, which the UN has described as the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

    Fighting in the dirt-poor region has displaced one million people

    Ali Osman Taha

    told Egyptian and Sudanese intellectuals and

    politicians in Cairo on Thursday that the conflict was "fabricated"

    by the international community

    .

    The same parties that were responsible for creating war in the

    southern Sudan nearly 50 years ago are the ones responsible for the

    confict in Darfur, he said.

    Taha did not provide any hard evidence to support his claims but

    singled out the European Union for criticism, saying it was holding

    an estimated $400 million in Sudanese government funds.

    He said the government wanted to use the funds for

    projects in Darfur, but the EU refused to release them unless

    Khartoum resolves the conflict in the south.

    "They hold your money and tell you to heal myself," Taha

    snapped.

    Sharp reminder

    The vice-president's comments came as world leaders at the G8

    summit in the United States called on Sudan to disarm militias they blamed

    for "massive human rights violations" in the

    Darfur region.

    "We call on all parties to the conflict to immediately and

    fully respect the ceasefire, allow unimpeded humanitarian access to

    all those in need, and create the conditions for the displaced to

    return safely to their homes," the Group of Eight leaders said in a

    joint statement.

    Taha said the EU was witholding
    crucial funds for Darfur

    The call follows

     a sharp reminder to

    Khartoum by the UK that it must rein in Arab militias

    and ensure help reaches the needy.

    "I made it very clear to the government of Sudan that they must

    bear the primary responsibility for bringing the fighting to an end,

    for reining in the Janjawid militia and for seeking a political

    solution for what is a crisis of security," International

    Development Secretary Hilary Benn said on Wednesday.

    Benn was speaking to reporters in London upon his return from a

    trip earlier this week to Sudan, where he visited three refugee

    camps inside Darfur, met officials in Khartoum and announced a new $

    27 million humanitarian

    aid grant.

    Protection force

    Meanwhile, the EU has announced it will provide $14.46 million to support observers monitoring a ceasefire between Khartoum and two rebel groups in Darfur.

    The 12-month funding was requested by the African Union, which is leading the international mission of up to 120 observers and a possible protection force of 270 soldiers.

    "We call on all parties to the conflict to immediately and

    fully respect the ceasefire, allow unimpeded humanitarian access to

    all those in need, and create the conditions for the displaced to

    return safely to their homes"

    G8 leaders' statement

    "We believe that the success of this mission is crucial ... to deliver humanitarian assistance which is very much needed at this time in Darfur," said Jean-Charles Ellermann-Kingombe, spokesman for the EU executive, on Thursday. 

    A deal signed on 28 May provided for an international ceasefire commission and the despatch of civilians and troops to monitor ceasefire violations in the region's key flashpoints.

    An estimated 10,000 people have died since rebels complaining of

    government neglect of their impoverished region launched an uprising

    in Darfur in February 2003. The uprising was met with fierce retaliation by

    government and Janjawid forces.

    It is thought that one million people have been displaced in Darfur

    and 130,000 others have fled across the border into Chad.

    SOURCE: AFP


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Why Saudi-Israeli normalisation could be dangerous

    Why Saudi-Israeli normalisation could be dangerous

    Apart from being disastrous for Palestine, normalising relations with Israel could get Saudi Arabia in real trouble.

    Gender violence in India: 'Daughters are not a burden'

    Gender violence in India: 'Daughters are not a burden'

    With female foeticide still widespread, one woman tells her story of being mutilated for giving birth to her daughters.

    What is Mohammed bin Salman's next move?

    What is Mohammed bin Salman's next move?

    There are reports Saudi Arabia is demanding money from the senior officials it recently arrested.