US experts brief Seoul on N Korea visit

Two members of a US delegation have briefed South Korean officials on Monday about their visit to a nuclear facility in North Korea, thought to be capable of making weapons.

    N Korea showed Keith Luse (above) and other US officials its ''nuclear deterrrent''

    The US team was the first from the outside world to be allowed into North Korea's Yongbyon complex since UN inspectors were expelled a

    year ago.

    Two members of the unofficial US delegation, Keith Luse and Frank Jannuzi, both Senate foreign relations committee aides, flew into Seoul

    on Sunday, but they declined to discuss their visit to Yongbyon.

    They met officials from South Korea's unification ministry and briefed them on their five-day

    visit to North Korea.

    "We look forward to fulsome discussions with your government about our recent trip to North Korea and we look forward to the close coordination between our two governments in the peaceful resolution of the North Korean nuclear problem," Jannuzi told Park Chan-bong, a senior unification ministry official.

    The two Senate aides were scheduled to meet foreign ministry officials on Monday evening.

    John Lewis, a professor emeritus at Stanford University, had led the delegation to North Korea.

    Six-way talks

    Powell said the US was committed
    to the next round of talks

    Pyongyang said on Saturday it had shown a visiting US delegation its "nuclear deterrent" and hoped it would provide a basis for a peaceful

    settlement of the row with the United States over its nuclear activities.

    The US suspects North Korea may have resumed reprocessing spent nuclear fuel rods into plutonium for use in nuclear weapons and has

    been trying to resume six-way talks to end the nuclear row.

    The six parties - the two Koreas, the US, China, Japan and Russia - met inconclusively in Beijing in August.

    Japan's Nihon Keizai Shimbun quoted State Councillor Tang Jiaxuan as saying he expected the next round of six-party talks to be held in

    February.

    Tang, a former Chinese foreign minister, told a delegation of Japanese officials the talks looked likely next month because North Korea

    and the US appeared to be getting closer to overcoming their differences.

    US criticised

    Meanwhile, the state media in North Korea marked the first anniversary of the country's pull-out from the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty

    with a commentary on Sunday blaming the US for ignoring Pyongyang's overtures for a resolution of the crisis.

    "The world is now watching whether the US has a true will to settle the nuclear issue on the Korean peninsula on the principle of

    simultaneous actions and peaceful co-existence," the North's mouthpiece, news agency KCNA, reported on Sunday.

    US Secretary of State Colin Powell told Japan's NHK television on Sunday Washington was committed to the next round of

    talks and he was confident it would be held in the "not-too-far future".

    Last week, North Korea offered to freeze its nuclear activities in a move that has raised hopes for a fresh round of talks.

    The US said in October 2002 that North Korea had admitted to a clandestine uranium enrichment programme to build nuclear weapons,

    which US officials say violated a 1994 agreement by the North to freeze its nuclear programme.

    SOURCE: Reuters


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Assassinating Kim Jong-un could go so wrong

    Assassinating Kim Jong-un could go so wrong

    The many ways in which the assassination of the North Korean leader could lead to a total disaster.

    Lebanon has a racism problem

    Lebanon has a racism problem

    The problem of racism in Lebanon goes beyond xenophobic attitudes towards Syrian and Palestinian refugees.

    The life and death of Salman Rushdie, gentleman author

    The life and death of Salman Rushdie, gentleman author

    The man we call 'Salman Rushdie' today is not the brilliant author of the Satanic Verses, but a Picassoesque imposter.