Sudan truce at risk after fresh fighting

At least 21 people are dead and 40 injured after fighting in Western Sudan this week between rebel groups and the government.

    The SLM/A says Darfur has been marginalised by Khartoum

    A regional official said on Friday that the fighting took place even though one of the groups has agreed a ceasefire with the government.

    Mohamed Osman Hashim, the commissioner of Kulbous, a town next to Sudan's border with Chad, told Reuters some 2000 fighters from the Sudan Liberation Movement/Army (SLM/A) and the Justice and Equality group carried out the raid on Wednesday.

    The SLM/A, which emerged as a fighting force in February, accuses the government of marginalising the western Darfur region. They were not immediately available for comment.

    They entered peace talks after agreeing to a ceasefire in September, but have accused government forces and what it says are pro-government fighters of violating the truce.

    SLM/A officials have said they were in talks to join ranks with the Justice and Equality group, which the government said it had targeted with air strikes earlier this month.

    The United Nations is seeking more aide for western Sudan, where fighting has displaced at least 500,000 refugees this year. Sudan's government is also in talks to end a separate, 20-year-old conflict in the south.

    SOURCE: Reuters


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Venezuela in default: What next?

    Venezuela in default: What next?

    As the oil-rich country fails to pay its debt, we examine what happens next and what it means for its people.

    The Muslims of South Korea

    The Muslims of South Korea

    The number of Muslims in South Korea is estimated to be around 100,000, including foreigners.

    What is Mohammed bin Salman's next move?

    What is Mohammed bin Salman's next move?

    There are reports Saudi Arabia is demanding money from the senior officials it recently arrested.