Yemen arrests Riyadh bomb suspect

Yemen has detained a Saudi fugitive suspected of links to bomb attacks against civilian compounds in Riyadh in May that left 35 people dead.

    Triple blasts sent shockwaves throughout kingdom

    Yemeni security forces arrested Bandar al-Ghamadi following a request from Saudi Arabia, said a Yemeni official on Tuesday.

    Suspected of being a member of al-Qaida, Al-Ghamadi will be handed over to Saudi authorities after being interrogated, said an unnamed official.

    The Saudi newspaper Okaz earlier quoted al-Ghamadi’s father as saying he had been arrested in Yemen after fleeing there with his wife.

    Clashes

    Saudi Arabia had published a list of 19 suspects wanted in connection to the triple bombings on 12 May blamed on al-Qaida.

    Alleged mastermind Turki al-Dandani was killed by Saudi security forces in July, while a number of others have been killed or captured.

    Riyadh has stepped up its crackdown on those allegedly planning attacks within the kingdom. There have been clashes between police and suspects, leading to casualties on both sides and the arrest of more than 200 suspects.

    Riyadh and Sanaa have also boosted security cooperation and swapped fugitives under an extradition agreement between the two neighbours.

    SOURCE: Agencies


    YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

    Venezuela in default: What next?

    Venezuela in default: What next?

    As the oil-rich country fails to pay its debt, we examine what happens next and what it means for its people.

    The Muslims of South Korea

    The Muslims of South Korea

    The number of Muslims in South Korea is estimated to be around 100,000, including foreigners.

    What is Mohammed bin Salman's next move?

    What is Mohammed bin Salman's next move?

    There are reports Saudi Arabia is demanding money from the senior officials it recently arrested.