Al Jazeera International Ltd is committed to providing a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and to ensuring that all employees and job applicants are treated with dignity and respect and that the Company attracts, recruits and retains the best talent.
Al Jazeera International Ltd is an Equal Opportunities employer and seeks to ensure that no current or future employee receives less favourable treatment or direct or indirect discrimination on the grounds of one of the protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010, including Age, Disability, Gender Reassignment, Race, Religion or Belief, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Marriage and Civil Partnership or Pregnancy and Maternity.
Equality of opportunity leads to the best use of talents, skills and knowledge, maximising the potential of individuals and enhancing the quality of service provided by:
- removing artificial and irrelevant barriers to recruitment, training and promotion
- drawing from the widest pool of possible talent
- assisting in the achievement of business objectives
- promoting a positive working environment, fairness and equal opportunities for all
- ensuring that the structure of the workforce reflects the diversity of the population it serves
At Al Jazeera International we actively and regularly examine and review our existing recruitment and selection procedures to ensure that our selection criteria and procedures are objective and relevant and that they provide for individuals to be selected, promoted and assessed solely on the basis of merit and ability to do the job. We also aim to break down any barriers relating to equality of opportunity to ensure that people who are under-represented realise their full potential and areas for action are identified.
Diversity Statistics – London Broadcast Centre 2012
All staff, freelancers and job applicants selected for interview are invited to complete an Equal Opportunities Monitoring form to enable Al Jazeera to monitor and analyse our Equal Opportunities policy, and eliminate discrimination on the grounds of sex, age, ethnicity and disability.
Al Jazeera International in London monitor the sex, ethnicity, disability and age of all permanent employees.
46% of Al Jazeera International’s workforce is Female with the remaining 54% men.
Al Jazeera International is proud of its diverse workforce. 51.6% of all Al Jazeera International employees classify themselves as White British, with a further 21.3% describing themselves as White Other including European and White Irish. 27.1% of employees are of Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) origin.
43.7% of female employees classified themselves as White British, and 23.9% as White Other including White European & White Irish. BME females accounted for 32.4% of the workforce.
58.3% male employees described themselves as White British, with a further 19.1% as White Other including White European & White Irish Male. 22.6% of all male employees certified themselves as of BME.
In 2012 0.6% of the workforce in London classified themselves as having a disability.
The largest group of employees by age was the 30-39 age group which accounted for 44.5% of the workforce. This was followed by 25.2% in the 40-49 age group, 14.9% in the 20-29 and 13.5% aged between 50-59. 1.9% of the workforce were aged 60 or over in 2012.
Internships and Work Experience
In 2012 we offered a series of Internships within our Newsroom, Programmes, Creative and Sports departments. In total Al Jazeera International was able to offer 16 candidates an unpaid internship at our offices in Knightsbridge lasting between 2 weeks and 1 month in duration, as well as one work experience placement within our Creative team. The successful applicants were a combination of students from City University and direct applications.
Training and Development
In 2012 Al Jazeera employees attended a variety of internal and external training courses in order to enhance performance, knowledge and skills and encourage development.
Some of the training courses attended included Health and Safety (DSE Risk Assessment, Mental Health Awareness, First Aid and Fire Training), Hostile Environment, Public Awareness, Manual Handling and Working at Heights, Customer Service and Camera Training. In addition the Company provided a variety of internal on the job training in the form of coaching and shadowing.
Source: Al Jazeera